Can Fibreglass Pools Be Installed Above Ground?
Yes, it is possible to install a fibreglass swimming pool above the ground. You will be able to enjoy a lot of benefits. Before we get into these, let’s take a look at the different ways you can install a fibreglass pool:
Different Ways To Install A Fibreglass Pool
There are three ways of installing a fibreglass pool:
1. In-ground – In-ground installation is among the most popular and common choices for swimming pool installation. It works best when you have a lot of space and a flat backyard.
2. Semi above ground – A partially above ground pool is installed in a backyard that has tricky land blocks, such as a slope. It means that a portion of the pool will be buried in the ground.
3. Above ground – If you choose to install an above-ground fibreglass pool, you will be able to save a lot of money. There won’t be any excavation work, meaning that the installation will be quick. The process of installation will take about 3 to 5 days. Just because you are getting an above-ground fibreglass pool, it doesn’t mean that you have to compromise on the aesthetics. You can install the pool into your patio or build a new deck around your pool. Having an above-ground pool doesn’t mean that you can’t have the surroundings and design you have always wanted.
Cost Of An Above-Ground Fibreglass Pool
The average cost of an above-ground pool kit is $1,500 without the installation. Depending on the size, brand, and additional features, it can range somewhere between $850 to $8,200. The professional installation cost is around $1,000 to $3,000, making the average price of the above-ground fibreglass pool to be around $1,850 to $4,977.
Depth Of A Fibreglass Pool
The average depth of a fibreglass pool that is smaller than 27’ is 3 ½’ to 5 ½’. For pools between the size of 27′ to 35′ in length, the depth can range between 3 ½’ and 6 ½’. In the case of pools between the lengths of 35’ to 44’, the depths can be from 3 ½’ to 8 ½’ in depth.
Fibreglass Vs Vinyl Pools
Fibreglass pools are known to be exceptionally durable. In fact, they can last the entire lifetime of a home. If you get a vinyl liner pool, it might also last the same duration. However, about every ten years, you will have to replace the liner.
Benefits Of Installing An Above-Ground Fibreglass Pool
There are several reasons why you would want to go for an above-ground fibreglass pool. Check them out:
Ensure That Your Pool Deck Is At A Higher Level Than The House
Most people want their pool deck to come off higher than their house. For this, an above-ground fibreglass pool will be a perfect choice. However, before you opt for this, you have to consider two important factors. The first one is that when you are getting a fibreglass pool custom-built from a pool manufacturer, ensure that it has structural integrity. The second one is that your fibreglass shells will need support through an additional retaining wall. You can cover these walls with a framed deck.
Ensure That Your Pool Is Above The Floodplain
If your house is in a low-lying area, your backyard will be prone to flooding. So, if there is heavy rain, it might inundate your fibreglass pool. In these situations, an above-ground fibreglass pool would work best. You might think that your fibreglass pool might pop out because of the flooding. However, the truth is that if you ensure the right support to the structure, an elevated above-ground fibreglass pool will be safe from flooding.
If you install an above-ground fibreglass pool, you won’t have to excavate the land or use the backfill material. This will help you save money.
Keep The Downside Hill Exposed
If you are planning to build your pool on the hillside, you would want to make sure that you leave the downhill side of the pool exposed. An above-ground fibreglass pool can help you with that. In such cases, you will also have to implement some form of erosion control method on the downhill side. This way, you won’t be washing out the backfill materials.
In short, if you identify with any of these, an above-ground fibreglass pool will be the perfect addition to your backyard:
- Your house is on a sloping site and your pool must be built above the ground.
- You want a pool with features like infinity edge or windows.
- You will be installing the pool on the deck or patio that is above the level of the natural ground.
- You want your pool to be installed along the walls of your building.
Is An Above-Ground Fibreglass Pool Worth It?
Fibreglass pools are known for their durability. If you take good care of it, the surface, as well as the structure of a high-quality above-ground fibreglass pool, will last the lifetime of your house. A well-built fibreglass pool can last for decades. Also, it requires less maintenance than some other types of pools, which means that you will be saving money on that as well.
If you have decided to install an above-ground fibreglass pool, you have to look at pool builders who have years of experience helping homeowners with their pool projects. Above-ground pools are becoming a popular choice among people. It is because they are easy to clean and maintain, and they are affordable. You can get them in a wide range of styles, sizes, and shapes. Whether you want an in-ground, semi above-ground, or above-ground pool, an experienced team of professionals can help you with it. Search for the best pool builders in your area and discuss all the available options.